We are looking forward to seeing you in Cetraro for the 15th Symposium on Biodegradable Metals Conference!
In the meantime, here are some tips & tools to better prepare for your stay:
The 15th Biometal 2023 venue is the:
Gran Hotel San Michele - Contrada Bosco,30
Cetraro, 87022 (Cosenza), Italy
Hotel Phone (for communicating travel delays, for example) +39 0982 91012
The official language of the conference is English. All abstract submissions and presentations must be in English. Simultaneous translation will not be available.
Visa & Letter of Invitation
Some participants may require a visa to enter the European Union. For more information click here.
Letter for visa. They can only be sent by email (free of charge) or Priority Mail at the cost of 100 € each priority-mailed envelope. Fees for a group of letters can be paid only once if all letters are to be sent to the same address, at the same time). This is not refundable.
The Conference Secretariat and organizers cannot be held liable for personal accidents, loss of or damage to private property of the conference participants and accompanying persons, either during or directly arising from the Biometal 2022 Conference. Participants should make their own arrangements for health and travel insurance.
Clothing & Weather
The dress code for the conference is informal for all occasions. For the dinner only, we ask you to wear long pants. No shorts allowed.
The average temperatures in Cetraro during the month of August are generally 31 °C (day) and 21 °C (night).
Travel Information – Getting Here
From Italy, by car
The Gran Hotel San Michele is on the road between Paola and Diamante, a very charming road that follows the Mediterranean coast. The gate of the entrance of the hotel is shortly after Cetraro on the road for Diamante, in a zone called “Bosco”. You will see an entrance with few trees, and the magnificent hotel right at the top of the road. Pay attention to the speed radar, very efficient and always on, speed is limited to 50 km/h. Paola is the biggest city on the coast and is the biggest train terminal in Calabria. It is easily reachable from Cosenza through a high-speed highway, through the charming mountain of Calabria region. Diamante is a charming village, rich in murals, charming and very touristic. ice creams, restaurants, beaches, nice wines and all the alcoholic beverages of Calabria can be found here. If you plan to visit the region, a rental car, even from Rome or Naples, can be a good option. A good highway will bring you to Cosenza, and then in 45 to 60 minutes, you will be in Cetraro.
From International, by flight
The easiest way to fly from international is to fly on:
- Rome Fiumicino International Airport (code FCO)
- Naples Capodichino International Airport (code NAP)
- Lamezia Terme International Airport (code SUF)
All three airports offer car rentals from all major companies.
From Rome Fiumicino International and from Naples Capodichino International Airport we recommend you rent a car (if you are in a group or wish to visit the region, parking is available at the Hotel) OR pursue by train to Paola Train Station. Paola train station is the closest train station, at only 24 km from the Gran Hotel San Michele. After landing in Rome or Naples, you can reach Termini Train or Central Train stations in Roma or Naples, easily with a train or a bus in 30-35 (Rome) or 10-15 minutes (Naples). You can reach Paola train station from these stations with a high-speed train (see below, reservation is required, and a ticket must be booked and bought in advance). From Paola train station, a shuttle will bring you to the Gran Hotel San Michele, in Cetraro (30 min approx). Be sure to provide us with the time/number/and name of the train that is supposed to bring you to Paola. We will organize the shuttle waiting for you, for a nominal price of 20€ round trip.
If you land at Lamezia Terme International Airport, a shuttle will bring you to the Gran Hotel San Michele, in Cetraro (90 min approx). Lamezia Terme Intl Airport is 90 km from the Gran Hotel San Michele. Be sure to provide us with the company/flight number/and the time that you expect to land in Lamezia Terme. We will organize the shuttle waiting for you, for a nominal price of 40€ round trip.
You will be asked to pay the cost of the shuttle onsite, in cash (no credit card machine available, thanks for your collaboration), at the conference registration desk, at the time your identification badge will be remitted to you. A receipt will be provided.
Our secretariat will contact you in advance asking you to fill a table providing us with your travel details, to guarantee your shuttle.
(as of May 21, 2023, check the time a few days before travelling)
Reservation is mandatory on high-speed trains.
You can easily book the train via the app Trenit!
|***High-Speed*** - Roma Termini to Paola Train Stations, Mon 21 Aug 2023|
|Departure time||Arrival||Duration||Train name/number||Cost in € (approx)|
|7h30 am||10h57 am||3h27’||Freccia Argento 8333||42|
|8h58 am||12h24 pm||3h28’||Freccia Argento 8863||50|
|13h00||17h00||4h00’||Freccia Rossa 9583||58|
|14h25||18h23||3h58’||Freccia R1000 9623||28|
|15h00||19h14||4h14’||Freccia Rossa 9587||57|
|16h35||19h53||3h18’||Freccia R1000 8419||42|
|17h53||21:13||3h20’||Freccia Rossa 9639||28|
|***Regional*** - Naples Central to Paola Train Station, Mon 21 Aug 2023|
|Departure time||Arrival||Duration||Train name/number||Cost in € (approx)|
|8h50 am||12h14 pm||3h24’||Regional 5581||18|
|14h25||17h00||2h35’||Freccia Rossa 9583||28|
|15h22||18h23||3h01’||Freccia R1000 9623||21|
|16h25||19h14||2h49’||Freccia Rossa 9587||21|
Trains from Paola to Rome Termini and Naples Central Stations
Please note that several trains are available from Paola to Napes and to Rome on Sunday 27 Aug, 2023. The following are a few examples of leaving Paola Train Station early morning:
- departure at 7h18 to Naples Afragola station (arrival at 9h39) and to Rome (10h40)
- departure at 8h04 to Naples Afragola station (10h23) and to Rome (11h25)
- departure at 8h35 to Naples (11h27) and to Rome (13h00)
- and several others
We recommend booking your international flight back only on Monday 28 Aug 2023 to benefit from one afternoon and night in Rome.
IMPORTANT to remember
- Flight to Naples, Rome, or Lamezia Terme international airports, wherever it is more convenient for you.
- From Naples and from Rome you will need to take a train to Paola train station, where in 30min a shuttle will bring you to the 15th Biometal 2023;
- From Lamezia Terme, a shuttle will bring you in 90min to the 15th Biometal 2023;
- Our secretariat will follow up with you for filling out an online form to let us know your travel plan, please fill it out promptly.
- The shuttle cost (either from Paola train station or Lamezia Terme Intl Airport) will be asked of you at the conference registration desk when your conference badge will be remitted to you. Please bring it in cash, no atm close or credit card payment, a receipt will be waiting for you.
- Consider renting a car if you want to visit the region, and/or travelling to the 15th Biometal 2023 with your Lab members, partner, or friends.
Some facts about Cetraro and the Calabria region
- This is one of the less explored regions in Italy by foreign tourists, while is widely frequented by Italians and Italians leaving outside Italy;
- It is a coastal region, with mountains up to 2200 mt, pure and deep water, and beautiful beaches;
- This region is bathed by the Tyrrhenian and Ionic Seas;
- This is the home region of Pythagoras, the inventor of the famous Theorem for right triangles;
- The weather in August is expected to be hot, 30 to 35 and even more degrees C, but windy;
- The region is safe, but be cautious, you are in Italy…
Currency, Banking, ATM & Credit Cards
The currency is the Euro (€).
Cash is usually withdrawn from automatic teller machines at bank branches. In addition, in Spain, it is easy to find ATMs to withdraw cash in shopping centres and shopping areas, large urban centres, and historic centres in small towns.
If you need to change your money to €, you will be able to do so at bureaus de change, at various banks, and at the majority of hotels and travel agencies.
The voltage and frequency in Italy is 230 V, 50 Hz.
Cetraro, Italy is 6:00 hours later than New York, and Central European Time (same as Rome).